Valentine’s Day is always full of fun and love, but its very nature can sometimes be filled with excesses or dangerous habits that can cause dental damage for you or your loved ones. The American Dental Association (ADA) just put out a list of Valentine’s Day pitfalls and ChooseYourDentist.com is adding some suggestions of our own to make this the sweetest Valentine’s Day ever:
- Beware of Bacteria: The ADA cautions that the bacteria which cause dental decay can be transferred from one person to another. Be careful when you share any eating implements and be sure to rinse or brush after eating any meals.
- Bad Breath May Be A Bad Sign: If you notice bad breath on someone it may be more than just a sign of a great dinner. Bad breath can sometimes indicate dental problems and may even be the initial symptom of other health problems. If bad breath continues beyond a meal that is filled with garlic it’s time to see your Dallas dentist for a checkup.
- Watch the Wine and Cigarettes: Too much wine can stain your teeth, while too many cigarettes will not only stain but can cause potentially worse health problems. Nothing is less appealing than a mouth full of stained teeth. If you do have stains building up find a family dentist who can discuss teeth whitening options with you.
- Sweep the Sweets Away: This may be a special time when you decide to indulge in gooey chocolate or sticky sweets, but don’t forget your oral health. Make sure to rinse well, brush and floss, and scape any remaining bacteria off your tongue. Use an antibacterial mouthwash to rinse away any remaining bacteria.
- Know Your Dentist’s Emergency Contact Information: It is always helpful to have emergency contact information available at any time of year. If you should happen to break a tooth or experience dental pain on Valentine’s Day, you will want to know what to do next. When you choose your Mansfield dentist, be sure you know what the practice’s policies are regarding emergency care.
If you don’t have a family dentist, the best gift you can give your family this Valentine’s Day is to let ChooseYourDentist.com help in the search to find a dental care provider. Just visit our website and you’ll have instant access to our huge database of information and profiles about dentists around the country.
How will you satisfy your family’s sweet tooth this Valentine’s Day? Tell us what else you would like to know about finding a Texas dentist. Further information on ChooseYourDentist.com may be found at www.ChooseYourDentist.com, by email at info@ChooseYourDentist.com, following ChooseYourDentist on Twitter, or by calling 1-888-I-CHOOSE.